Six Things My Mother Taught Me:
1. How to cook
2. How to sew (my livelihood for a while)
3. How to have a positive attitude
4. If you're trying to save money, allow yourself to spend just a little; if you try to deny yourself completely, you're liable not to stick with it. (Hence the little shopping trip today.)
5. Eat real, good food in moderation. (That's not a glaring grammatical error. I mean food that is good and food that is "real", as in not highly processed.) Someone wrote a whole book about this, but my mom knew it all along.
6. Sometimes it's OK to break the rules, just a little bit. (To be read in conjunction with Dad's Rule # 6, Follow The Rules).
Thanks, Mom! These are the foundation of health, happiness, income, and a cute new jacket.