Friday, July 2, 2010

Thrift stores

I've recently re-discovered my passion for thrift stores. Right now I'm a little giddy at the thought of going to the Cape Cod thrift stores tomorrow. I have to say, though, that I'm a little disappointed in the state of thrift stores on the North Shore. My old favorites, "Sal's Boutique" (Salvation Army), seems messy, dirty and crowded. (I know, I know; it's a thrift store, but still.)

The new "Saver's" chain on the other hand, is like the big box of thrift stores. It's like the Wal-Mart of thrift stores. A thrift store chain? The first time I went, I walked out in disgust. "That's not a thrift store, that a bunch of old crap," I thought. (I know, it's a thrift store, but still.)

And yet, I couldn't resist going back. OK, a pair of vintage clogs and the cutest little purse with the tags still on -- maybe it's the Target of thrift stores. I'll give it another chance.

No comments: